Is it inevitable that the internet and social media drive us to the extremes? Or do they just hold up a mirror to an already divided culture? And we explore the dark side of the internet – trolls, racist memes, hate-filled comment sections and increasingly virulent culture wars – and ask whether it hijacked the White House.
- Whitney Phillips, Assistant Professor of Communication, Culture, and Digital Technologies at Syracuse University, and author of ‘This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Mapping the Relationship between Online Trolling and Mainstream Culture’
- Whitney Phillips on Twitter
- Whitney's May 2018 report for Data & Society: The Oxygen of Amplification: Better Practices for Reporting on Extremists, Antagonists, and Manipulators Online
- Whitney's 2016 article for Slate: 'Donald Trump Is Not a Troll'
- Ian Leslie on Twitter
- Matthew Taylor on Twitter
Produced by James Shield.
Brought to you by the RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce).